Update on my elephant cot quilt

Wow I’m so super happy right now. Last night in my quilting class, I put my balloons on my elephant quilt! I’m so happy with the color choice.

I spent a while walking around the shop deciding which yellow fabric to use. And then once I had the fabric, I ended up cutting out an extra balloon in order to play with possible stitches. I tried a tight zigzag, a double layered zigzag (bottom shorter width than the top) and a thicker blanket stitch, but ended up going with with the good old normal blanket stitch (janome mc7700 stitch 45). I did like the double layered zigzag however – must remember it for next time. 

Lastly I used a flower stitch – janome mc7700 stitch 228 – to create the balloon “strings” I really like this stitch! 

Just before leaving class, I bought my batting and found a baking fabric. I decided on a flannelette to be nice and cosy. It’s a light pink, and covered in little darker pink elephants! It’s gorgeous. I’m super excited about basting it now. 

I’m thinking I will try spray basting it. I haven’t tried before, but the craftsy class I’m doing at the moment – ‘Creative quilting with your walking foot ‘ by Jacquie Gering – Jacquie recommends:

  • starching and ironing everything (including the backing)
  • Spray basting the quilt 
  • Ironing again to get it super flat.

So I will try this and keep you posted with my outcome. Super excited to get quilting – you will have to tune in next time to see how I end up quilting it!

 

 

One thought on “Update on my elephant cot quilt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *